Tuesday, October 18, 2005

That's pretty weak, Anne E. Kornblut

An article over at the NYT about Andrew Card features this subtle dig at conservatives:

"Mr. Card personally managed the selection of Harriet E. Miers for the Supreme Court, a choice that has splintered the Republican Party and left the administration scrambling to rescue her nomination."

I hate to be the one to point this out, but the Republican party is anything but splintered. And I don't hate to point out that this is a clear example of--not bias--but bad reporting. (If you read my past blog posts, I've argued that "biased" is an incoherent term that should be replaced with more specific ones.)

A George Will column here and a William Kristol column there are interesting, but hardly indicative of a splintering in the Republican party, which is a well-oiled machine right now with 55 senators and a president in power. I guess planless, spineless liberals will grasp at anything they can--they'd rather criticize than actually do anything about the current situation. (And so I'll criticize them.)

"Democracy and power" just didn't get people's motors running, eh?

5 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger RJ said...

yeah. I agree. Way to call it like it is, baby cakes.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Justin said...

The Republican party may not be as splintered as the left would like, but a lot of people are feeling pretty sold out by the Harriet Miers nomination. I know National Review is up in arms against her, I signed their petition to withdraw her. If she ends up getting blocked, I doubt much of anything will happen the second half of the Bush presidency except a realignment behind 2008 hopefuls...

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Al said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Al said...

John Edwards criticized the Democratic party on the Daily Show a couple nights ago. I enjoyed it. My word verification is tenacia, the act of being tenacious.

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a new post?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home