Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Webb v. Allen

Allen: Reagan inspired me to get involved in politics. Reagan would come to Rams football practices. As Governor, I wanted to bring forth a renaissance like Reagan did. Strong national defense, strong economic security, high academic standards. Reagan was criticized for calling the Soviet Union the Evil Empire. Yet millions today are tasting the "sweet nectar of liberty."

Webb: Ronald Reagan didn't bring down the Soviet Union by invading Czechoslovakia. I have another Presidential hero - Andrew Jackson. Jackson's precept was that you measure the health of a society not at its apex but at its base. I think Ronald Reagan would be wondering what's happening to the average American worker today.

You can see Webb subtly trying to appeal to both Republicans and Democrats. He's not out of the woods yet, but Allen can't like the poll numbers: one I saw had him with an 8-point lead over Webb, down from 20+ just a few months ago. Take that, Christian Kantianists!

7 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Al said...

Umm, I'll have a pint of the sweet nectar of liberty please.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger JMC said...

Actually, on second thought, I will just a pint of “The Embalmer.”

Question: Would it be appropriate for me to address “the invasion of Czechoslovakia” thing or is the dead horse pulverized?

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I don't see how anyone who claims that Andrew Jackson is one of their role models can try to juxtapose himself to Bush given that King Andrew and he face many of the same criticisms. I think that Jackson was a terrible president and anyone who looks up to him immeadiately loses points in my opinion. Even if Jackson did say some interesting things about how to measure society, his legacy was mounting wars with American Indians, declining public image for the country around the world, and ridiculous cronyism. I don't understand why so many people like him so much. Jacksonian democracy had some of good points, but the 'expansion by force' philiosophy of the movement along with its disproportionate increse in executive branch power is what it is mostly remebered by, and Jackson's cronyism is legendary.

I guess that's really beside the point, but I think that it is particularly ironic today that he would choose Jackson. My guess: someone found the quote for him and that's all he really knows or cares about Andrew Jackson.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

I don't agree with you, and I don't want to start an argument about this, but I and many others think Reagan was a terrible president too, but you don't, and you love him, and I don't want to argue about it, and they both invoke Reagan, so I don't think invoking the name of a president tells you much about anything, and this sentence has 8 commas in it.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Al said...

I'm not particularly educated on much, especially Ronald Reagan, but I did google him and find some fun quotes. "Approximately 80% of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources. " No I can't find the actual source for that. Most of the quotes were witty and fun like "It's silly talking about how many years we will have to spend in the jungles of Vietnam when we could pave the whole country and put parking stripes on it and still be home by Christmas. " He also confused me with this one "Let us ask ourselves; "What kind of people do we think we are?" "

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention, "Where would this country be without this great land of ours?" --Ronald Reagan

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

I'll agree to disagree about Reagan.

I think Allen is going to win, but I'm pulling for Webb, and I signed up to volunteer, but his campaign just keeps e-mailing me asking for money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home